The Service Lead – Planning Strategic and Development Management presented the report which updated Members on consultation feedback. The report provided an update on the 150 responses received that did not respond online and Members’ attention was drawn to the final issues and options feedback report appended to this report.
Comments made by Committee Members included:
· Clarification sought on the comment made on page 24 of the report that read:
Meeting unmet need from neighbouring areas (Duty to Cooperate) that went against the Service Lead – Planning Strategic and Development Management advice about not picking up neighbouring authorities requirements. In response the Chair advised the council was still bound through the local plan process to the duty to co-operate until any new legislation comes through.
· The report is biased by excluding responses from landowners and rigid key questions.
· The report is massively skewed to the older population. In response the Service Lead – Planning Strategy and Development Management advised it was an open consultation for anyone to comment on and recognised the lack of engagement from the younger generation despite efforts through social media and other avenues. This would be addressed in future consultations and work would be done with the Communications Team to address that and engage with the full age range within the district.
· It was suggested to amend the recommendation so that the neighbourhood plan was given greater weight than the ORS and the consultation report.
· The need to engage with younger people and working families.
· Although we are not reaching the younger demographic that does not mean they do not deserve the houses built for them. Their needs need to be incorporated into our decision making.
It was proposed by Councillor Mike Allen, seconded by Councillor Philip Skinner that the recommendation be amended to read:
That the neighbourhood planning results should be given greater weight than other consultation reports.
Councillor Allen advised the reason being that they are voted on a much bigger number and in some cases it was a high majority of the local population voted
In response the Planning Barrister advised that the recommendation as written in the report recommends that the Strategic Planning Committee to note the feedback report and the consultation responses and to not form any view. She advised Members that Councillor Allen’s comments gave weight to the neighbourhood plan and it may be more appropriate for Councillor Allen to raise that point in agenda item 13.
It was proposed by Councillor Mike Allen, seconded by Councillor Ben Ingham that the recommendation be amended to read:
That Strategic Planning Committee note the feedback report and the consultation responses received to the local plan issues and options report be noted and the lack of response in the under 40’s age group which needs to be addressed in future be noted.
That the feedback report and the consultation responses received to the local plan issues and options report be noted and the lack of response in the under 40’s age group that needs to be addressed in future be noted.