Venue: Online via the Zoom app
Contact: Sarah Jenkins 01395 517406 Email firstname.lastname@example.org;
The minutes of the previous meeting held on 11 August 2021 were agreed as a correct record.
Declarations of interest
Guidance is available online to Councillors and co-opted members on making
Minute 20. All Members of the Sub Committee had received an email from the interested party, Mr Stephen Pemberton, on 9th August 2021.
Matters of urgency
Information onis available online
There were no matters of urgency.
To agree any items to be dealt with after the public (including the Press) have been excluded. Thereare no itemswhich officersrecommendshould be dealtwithin thisway.
There were no confidential / exempt items.
Determination of an application for the grant of a premises licence to allow the provision of regulated entertainment and the sale of alcohol for consumption ON the premises at The Ham Recreation Ground and adjoining car park, Sidmouth, EX10 8DB. The application is to cover the period of 1st – 5th June 2022. PDF 450 KB
The Sub Committee considered the application for the grant of a premises licence to allow the provision of regulated entertainment and the sale of alcohol for consumption ON the premises at The Ham Recreation Ground and adjoining car park, Sidmouth, EX10 8DB. The application is to cover the period of 1st – 5th June 2022. The meeting was a hearing to consider the application for a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003.
The Chair introduced the members of the Sub Committee.
The applicant, present and entitled to make representations, was Ian Bowden, accompanied by John Radford, agent and Event Production Manager.
The interested parties, present and entitled to make representations were Simon Pemberton and Garland Pickard.
The Licensing Authority had received representations from East Devon District Council Environmental Health who had no objections.
The Sub Committee’s legal advisor, Giles Salter, outlined the procedure for the meeting.
The Licensing Officer, Emily Westlake, outlined the application and advised that three representations had been received, with two being objections from local residents and one positive representation from Sidmouth Town Council. No updates or amendments had been made since the publication of the report.
There were no questions for the Licensing Officer from Members or the applicant. In response to a question from the interested party, the Licensing Officer and the applicant’s agent, Mr Radford, advised that the likely set-up would be 4 to 5 days before the festival, with a 2 to 3 day taking down period afterwards.
In making the applicant’s case, the agent, Mr Radford, made the following points:
· The applicant had responded to feedback on the initial application and had subsequently submitted a revised application which was now before the Sub Committee
· The festival organisers would engage with all responsible and statutory authorities at the appropriate stages of planning the event and all documentation regarding the safe management of the festival would be produced at the proper time as planning was on-going
· The festival and the facilities to be provided are in line with Health and Safety Executive guidance
· The event organisers had received very positive feedback locally and, although the event was not as big as the Sidmouth Folk Festival, the team had benefitted from guidance from the Folk Festival organisers
· It was hoped to establish a 5 year plan for the Jazz and Blues Festival to be an on-going event
In response to questions from Members to the applicant, the following points were advised:
· The applicant intended to close both the music and the sale of alcohol before the end of the licensable hours at 11pm to allow time for safe egress for the public from the event
· Risk assessments for the festival had not yet been completed but would be available at the appropriate times before the start of the event and would be produced on a holistic basis with full engagement and input from all statutory bodies and blue light emergency services
· Facilities, including the provision of portaloos, would be provided in line ... view the full minutes text for item 20.